<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 26, 2006

It seem that my library is returning back to a view that we used to have, namely promoting public libraries more as a place to facilitate reading, rather than, as has been the case in the last few years, solely for the purpose of obtaining information. While this is obviously an important role for libraries to perform, it seems that the entertainment and relaxtion aspect of public libraries (ie being able to borrow a book to enjoy) has been pushed aside in an effort to make us more "important" than just lending books.

Wow that was a big sentence.

The training that I had today, which I admit I thought was not going to be useful and a waste of time, the Rewarding Reading program, is designed to enable us to assist library clients when they come to the library to find a book to enjoy. I work in a public library, so this is quite a common occurance. The Rewarding Reading program will help me develop my skills to act as a guide for customers to select books for their enjoyment.

One of the most important things that somebody can possess today is having a high level of literacy. Literacy these days has been expanded to mean able to read and comprehend the written word and the ability to locate and assesss the relevance and accuracy of the work. This is also true for fiction, and it is this skill that I am being trained to help people develop.

I shall see you next time,
Your books are due in three weeks.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?